Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Aging Parents

I apologize for not posting anything for a few days now. My Dad has been ill. My Dad has always been a very strong man. Even into his seventies I have seen him lift things that I could not budge. But in the last months my Dad has become frail and weak and it has truthfully been difficult to watch. Once again the truth that these bodies will return to the dust from which they were created has been forced to the front of my mind. What was once young and strong becomes old and weak; the one who cared for you becomes the one that depends upon you. I am comforted by these words...

Isaiah 46:4 (NIV)
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will
sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will
sustain you and I will rescue you.

It is comforting to know that our God goes with us even to our last day on this
planet. I am praying for my Dad to recover and have quality days ahead. I must
admit that there is selfishness involved, I do not want to lose him even though I
am confident that God has a place prepared for him. But also I hurt for my
Mom they have been married 63 years and she would be lost without him. But
Dad can claim this verse...

Psalm 71:17 (NIV)
Since my youth, O God, you have taught me, and to this day I
declare your marvelous deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment