Saturday, May 7, 2011

Disasters Bring Us Together

I, like many, have been amazed at the generosity of people that has poured out during these last few days. People both inside and outside the church have given. They have given their money, their time, and their talents. It has been expressed to me on more than one occasions with words similar to these, "I feel guilty for not having any damage when so many are hurting." Perhaps guilt is not the word that best expresses what people are feeling but to say the least we all wonder why not me, or why them, or why now. While those why questions may never be answered this I know, people have been confronted face to face with their mortality. Life truly can end in an instant, all that one knew as normal can be normal no more within a few seconds, and that my friend is scary, as they say, no matter who you are.

That is why the security of a relationship with Christ brings such peace and joy. For no matter what tomorrow may hold we know who holds tomorrow. My wife Luann and I had very little damage to our home, lost part of one tree. In fact all my immediate family were not harmed. My grandparents home had some damage. But as people have spoken to me about their guilt or fear or peace my mind has gone back to the night of July 1, 2008. On that night I had a heart attack. While being transported on a helicopter to the hospital I was amazed at the peace I felt. I can truly say fear was not part of what I felt. Only Christ can bring such peace.

My prayer is that this feeling of goodwill will last well into the future for these damaged homes and hearts will not heal soon. Thank all of you for being givers when so many have seen things that they cherished taken.

1 comment:

  1. GOD WILLING!

    Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” James 4:13-15

    ReplyDelete