Saturday, April 2, 2011

If You Stay Close You Can’t Fall Away

John 16:1
I have told you these things so you won’t fall away. (NLT)

Occasionally I will ask Luann if I have told her lately that I love her. She always says tell me again! Luann and I have a commitment to each other. We have a date once a week. We spend a day together once a month and we spend a week together once a year. We are intentional concerning our relationship, the most important relationship on this earth.

I am also intentional concerning my relationship with Jesus. I journal every morning, which helps me focus my prayers; I have always been in an accountability group with other Christian men which helps me stay on track. I study the word with regularity, go to worship without fail and stay in a book written by an author that helps me see the truth of God’s word. I do this not to make God love me but because I know He loves me and I desire to stay close to Him.

Not long ago a friend told me he had “fallen out of love with his wife.” He was disappointed that I could not relate. How can you fall out of love with someone you love? Well the answer is you fall away by being away. You forget because you do not constantly remember. Jesus warns us in this passage, the prophets warned us by telling us to always teach these things to our children, God constantly warned His people by the way He introduced Himself…I am the Lord your God who brought you up out of the house of bondage…never forget…always remember…don’t fall away, lest you become guilty of losing your first love. Maybe we should each ask God…Lord have I told you lately that I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment